Saturday 13 October 2007

Nusery Madness!

The last couple of months have seen me go a little nuts in the nusery department. Before we go any further, the nusery in which i am referring to is that belonging to the safe keeping of green babies not human babies. That's right the plant nusery!

Anyway, this weekend is no exception. I have been down to visit my local nusery and have returned with arm loads of stuff! I have to date (a collection in three weekends) 3 rose plants, 2 little bushy things (i tot they were too cute to not get), 2 other flowering plant (the ones with the raised roots), 2 small ferns and 4 daisy looking plants (all in a bed row), and my mostest favouritest to date is a lily like plant - i got them in a pair. Oops...I forgot about Moni - my money plant (she's doing well!...sigh...if only i could say the say about the reality of my Moni situation!)

Now the rose plants - my mother and the nusery resident gardener had warned me off - saying that they require a lot of work and that with my track record (usually a plant dies off on me within a month! No exception to the hardiest ferns) or rather the lack of (of not having any green thumb tendencies) - it might be better to get hardier plants...

After two weeks i have to say the roses had bloomed and are now bloomless. I am patiently waiting for the next buds. I am hoping with fingers crossed that against the odds of my not so green twisted fingers i can get them to bloom again. My two root above ground plants are in the same bloomless state. (silent mantra in my head ...patience...patience...)

After 3 weekends of this nusery itch that cannot seemed to be scratched - i have spades, shovels, bags of soil, bags of shredded coconut husks, bags of fertilizers, bottles of fertilizer, spray cannisters and loads of plastic pots!

In half a year of slowly gathering my forest...i have managed to kill 2 citronellas, a bonsai and half of three pine trees (these are hardy fellows - they keeping coming back alive!) My dead plants have gone through a verbal post mortem. The findings were conclusive - MURDER by OVER FERTILIZATION for the Citronellas and underwatering my bonsai!

There is one other plant that i have that i have not spoken about...they were the hardest to locate and the tastiest to Wolfie. It took me about a month to locate it and transplant it. I had four pots of these wonderful butterfly leaf plants. Two of them had their leaves eaten by Wolfie anf promptly died. The third drowned in Mags' pee - it died too...the funny thing is ...all its leaves are still there and it's been preserved (sort of) by Mags' pee. The leaves are all there just that they are all yellow now! SO i have one remaining butterfly leaf plant left alive and I intend for it to stay that way!

I have also taken to walking along the street and plucking a branch of creepers and plants that i like and will try to grow them at home - it's a very strange phase that i'm going through but a very pleasant one!

1 comment:

Asther said...

Aiyo... I think I should come over ur place & help u set up ur "nursery". Then teach u how to maintain them. My consultation is FREE! Want want??? ;P

Poppet

Poppet
gimme sexy...oh yeah!